Ossett Town Tornados 5 v 0 Horsforth St Magarets


Ossett Town ‘Tornados’  5 v 0  Horsforth St Margarets Colts  (Cup Semi – Final)


Scorers Ewan Broadbent 2, Billy Pert, Luke Townend and Connor Mcaliskey


Player of the match awarded to the whole squad

Team: Elliot Robinson, James Ferguson, Ewan Broadbent, Lewis Stephens, Bradley Graham, Bailey Rawden, Connor Mcaliskey, Luke Townend and Billy Pert Subs: Keiaran Stephenson, Jacob Nash and James Higgins.

The top two teams went head to head at a windswept ‘Springmill’ on Wednesday evening in the Garforth League cup semi-final. Both teams had never met each other before and in the very early exchanges a slight tinge of nervousness was evident in both camps. The ‘Tornados’ got off to a brilliant start when a fine cross from the right was met by a looping header from striker Billy Pert. The ball sailed over the head of the stranded visiting keeper and into the net for a 1-0 lead to Ossett. A positive for Horsforth was that the goal had arrived early leaving them plenty of time to recover. With this in mind they set about the task with great spirit and with the wind in their favour caused ‘Town’ lots of defensive problems. This first half period was tight and competitive and displayed all the ingredients expected in a cup semi final. Ossett players showed plenty of commitment along with great desire often putting in last ditch tackles in the defensive third. Defender James Ferguson caught the eye with some controlled possession and lofted balls down the right channel. Both sets of players went at each other although they displayed continued respect to each other in a game well refereed by the independent match official. Ewan Broadbent displayed awareness and good pass selection at times and he was well supported by Bailey Rawden. Midfielders Lewis Stephens and Bradley Graham were kept busy all night as they continually hustle and bustled their determined opponents. The wind was a major factor throughout and whichever team mastered the conditions were always likely to end being the ultimate winners. For all their fine efforts Horsforth failed to convert any of their chances whilst having the advantage of the wind. Half time arrived with Ossett maintaining their 1-0 lead. In the second half ‘Town’ managed to take control of the game although at no stage did Horsforth throw in the towel. A break down the right side led to the hosts being awarded a corner. A great in swinging delivery by Connor Mcaliskey struck the body of striker Luke Townend and nestled inside the goal for a 2-0 lead to Ossett. James Higgins and Keiran Stephenson began causing the visitors some concern with their trickery and direct running at defenders. Jacob Nash bolstered the home defence with some no nonsense tackling when he entered the proceedings. Goal number three came curtosy of a long distance free kick from Ewan Broadbent. His sweetly struck left footed effort deceived the keeper and found the bottom right hand corner of the net 3-0 to Ossett. Again to their immense credit Horsforth kept on coming and keeper Elliot Robinson was called into action on more than one occasion. Some last ditch defensive tackles also ensured that ‘Town’ ultimately end up keeping a clean sheet. Billy Pert made some fine second half runs along the left hand touchline linking up well with Connor Mcaliskey. From one such passage of play the ball was played inside the visiting penalty area and an initial strike on goal was kept out by the hands of a visiting player. The referee point to the spot and Ewan Broadbent was allocated the task of converting. He was successful with his first attempt but the referee deemed that some of the Ossett players had encroached within the penalty area. A retake was then required and he subsequently slotted home into the keepers bottom right hand corner 4-0 to Ossett. Midfield players Bradley Graham and Lewis Stephens continued to work hard throughout as did all the ‘Town’ players. The team never once rested on their laurels and the continued work ethic was great to see. Right on full time the hosts broke in centre field through Keiran Stephenson. The referee played a great advantage and a ball was played into the path of the charging Connor Mcaliskey. He expertly dispatched a fine strike beyond the keeper with his left foot to give a Final Score of 5-0 to Ossett. Reporters comments: This was a tough match played in a fine spirit against good committed opponents. In truth ‘Town’ may not have displayed fantastic finesse but their work ethic and desire could not be faulted in my opinion. Horsforth should be proud of their fine efforts and the forthcoming two league fixtures will not be treated as a formality by the ‘Town’ players. However their efforts should be rightly applauded having reached yet another cup final against Guiseley Yellows. Well done to both teams and good luck to Horsforth in the future.