U7’s Match Reports – Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th September

A Team V Greetland Golds

The crowd who made the long trek to Greetland were greeted with a lovely warm Sunday morning – ideal conditions for watching the U7’s in early season action. Ryan had chosen a very attack minded side for this game and this was in evidence right from the start when a strong run and shot from Jacob in the first 30 seconds just failed to give Ossett the lead. However soon after, Jacob latched on to a long throw from Henry and coolly slotted the ball home to give Ossett a 1-0 lead.  Greetland then game back into the game a little bit and 2 good saves from Harley maintained the lead. Ossett were in confident mood and continued to pressurise the Greetland goal – Henry soon grabbed a 2nd goal for Ossett and Bailey was unlucky to add a third after a fantastic tackle and run down the right wing. It was soon to be 3-0 after Henry latched on to a good pass from Charlie, to grab his second of the game. The pressure from Ossett was unrelenting – great passing and movement from the whole team. Charlie was having a majestic game at the back – winning the ball and setting up attacks with very good distribution. Isaac was putting in a great shift. Harley was dominating his own box and passing the ball well from the back. Another goal for Jacob made it 4-0, followed soon by another for Henry to make it 5-0. Bailey was determined to get on the goal-scoring act and scored twice in quick succession to make it 7-0.  The lure of 2 Yorkshire Puddings per goal was proving irresistible to Isaac who scored on the stroke of half time to make it 8-0 going into the half time break. ( Half-time score 8 – 0.  Isaac 1 goal, Henry 3, Jacob 2, Bailey 2)
At half-time Ryan set the team a target of 5 passes before they could score a goal. The lads tried their best to do this in the second half but the lure of more goals was proving too irresistible. Isaac made it 9-0 shortly after half-time, guaranteeing himself another 2 Yorkshire puddings. Harley was then called into action and made a great save – he was clearly determined to keep a clean sheet. In the next 5 minutes Bailey scored again and Jacob added another 3 to make the score 13-0 half way through the second half. The quality of Jacob’s finishing was brilliant. Charlie was continuing to set the standard in his play – he was very assured at the back, tackling well and playing some great passes down the line. As the game wore on, the effort that all the Ossett team were putting in was very high. Another goal from Henry, 1 more from Jacob and another from Isaac (that was 6 Yorkshire Puddings!) made it 16-0. At this stage, Greetland brought an extra 2 players on the pitch but this had little impact. Harley made some good saves and Charlie was being strong at the back. Henry scored twice more, the second of which was as a result of a great pass from Charlie. Final score 18-0 ( Isaac 3 goals and 6 Yorkshire Puddings, Bailey 3 goals, Jacob 6 goals, Henry 6 goals)
A great team performance. Everyone put in 100%. effort.  The passing & movement was great and some of the quality of finishing was fantastic. Well played to everyone – the effort that Ryan, Dave, Kenny and Steve are putting into the coaching is showing in the performances. Everyone played really well – a special mention to the 2 players who didn’t get on the score sheet but had great games. Harley had a good game in goal and maintained his concentration really well. Charlie was majestic in defence – read the game well, tackled hard and set up a number of attacks.
Reporter: Richard Hughes
B team V YMCA


GK – Sam Nightingale

Alfie Wilkinson

Connor Stanwix

Joe Hurdus

Freddie White

Finn Tattersfield


Manager: Steve Wilkinson

Kick Off-  10:30am

Venue:  YMCA Arena

Opposition:  YMCA


One of those post-summer Sunday mornings where the air is crisp yet warm, and the crunch of the golden leaves underfoot is but a few more weeks away… the seasons are very much in transition, which was reflected in the evolution in this young side.  Only a few months ago, these lads stumbled through matches, winning some, losing some, always giving their all but often showing their naivety about the game.  Today was different… far different.   The footballing seeds, sown so expertly by Ryan White and his talented team of coaches, are being nurtured with patience and care.  This morning, as the leaves on the trees overhead begin to curl, darken and fall, to be replaced in Spring by fresh, new shoots of green, one cannot help but be excited at the prospect of this U7s Team, come those early months next year.  This team looked so much more mature today than in its former guise and kept a good shape throughout, looking up to pass to team mates, looking over their shoulders to check where the opposition was and generally looking far more ‘at one’ with the game than ever before.


The game started at a brisk pace, neither side wanting to give away possession with Wilkinson and Hurdus dominating in the middle of the park.  Stanwix was breathtaking at times, a clever young man with a good footballing brain, showing his positional prowess and helping the team keep its shape.  White made some excellent contributions, winning the ball and playing sweet passes down the wings.  Midway through the first half, White fed Tattersfield with an intricate ball down the line, Tattersfield beat his marker and went on a mazy run towards goal… his shot whistled just wide, with the keeper beaten, and the tempo was set.  Ossett  were in the ascendency, security provided by the talented and reliable Sam Nightingale in the Ossett goal, it was only a matter of time before Ossett scored the goal that would reflect their dominance.   Alas, it was not to be, as YMCA broke away and scored with their first chance shortly before half time. It looked like it could be one of those days for Ossett.  Immediately, however, on the cusp of the half time whistle, Tattersfield turned his man and with a clever ball, fed White, who cut inside and equalised from just inside the penalty area. A cool and calm finish indeed.  1-1 at half time.


The second half kicked off to the delight of this vast crowd at the YMCA arena who could barely avert their eyes away from the action on the pitch for long enough to acknowledge the presence of the sweet old lady selling raffle tickets.  With all the finesse of a middle aged man attempting to take off his underpants underneath a towel on the beach in Filey, parents along the touchline endeavoured to take a single pound coin from their pockets without taking their gaze from the fantastic game of football in front of them.  With raffle tickets purchased (mine was 403)and thrust firmly into pockets, this game was becoming a spectacle.  Tackles were becoming increasingly determined and the combatative Tattersfield was flying into everything… on occasions taking some harsh tackles and a few balls in the face and neck.  He often gets hurt, is no stranger to the ‘cold magic sponge’ yet will run back on and snap into the next tackle with the same gusto as before.  When he learns to dry his eyes, he could be a midfield general.  Today he was getting there.  Nightingale was also showing a determination to get forward and was outstanding in the second half with some clever runs… starting the second half as an outfield player, he beat his man shortly after the whistle, twisted inside the YMCA full back and unleashed his shot which shaved the plastic coating from the post and dribbled wide.  Not to be set back, he soon put in Stanwix who beat three YMCA players before his good cross wasn’t converted.  Another break away goal came as YMCA had their second attempt on goal early in the second half to the reaction of the stunned but ecstatic YMCA fans.  Ossett heads didn’t go down and Stanwix was everywhere in the second half, his good work resulting in a penalty being awarded as Wilkinson went down amidst a flurry of legs.   Up stepped Wilkinson, who sent the YMCA keeper the wrong way with a clever drop of the shoulder, but scuffed his shot just wide. It was a mere blip for Wilkinson who had been outstanding all game and deserved a goal for his contributions.   Both teams were attempting to pass the ball and play the beautiful game in the way it’s supposed to be played… YMCA, now showing belief as they clung onto their lead, produced a good move and a bizarre penalty was given to the home side.  Justice was done as Freddie White, playing in goal for the second half, pulled off an audacious save by going for a ‘Grobbelaar style’ shimmy which had the YMCA striker smash the ball low and down the middle… White was one step ahead and stood still to save the penalty.


Hurdus was also playing well and he was always looking up to play the right ball,  with a difficult job of marking an opposition striker who was almost twice his size, Joe Hurdus wearing number 11, never shirked a challenge and seemed to be all over the pitch – he did a sterling job throughout and played some delightful clever balls in the second half. Tattersfield continued in his ‘warrior’ role and was a menace to the opposition, though it was soon YMCA who went 3-1 up before adding a rather flattering 4th goal in the dying seconds.


A bizarre game where the result didn’t resemble the game at all but today, it wasn’t really the result that caught the eye –  it was witnessing this ongoing transition from seeing ‘young lads who play football’ to ‘Young Footballers’ who understand the game and how to play it.  A special note must go Connor Stanwix who showed a superb attitude throughout and was the first to go over to a YMCA player, who was injured midway through the second half, to ask if he was alright.  A fantastic sight to grace any sports field on any morning.

A performance of potential by these Ossett U7s and what a pleasure to see two teams playing good football, in the right manner, with the right attitude… a huge congratulations must go to YMCA players, coaches and parents, aswell as to the Ossett Town contingent, for contributing to a fantastic atmosphere which brought a little more sunshine to an Autumnal morning. The winning raffle ticket was 404… if only I’d waited.

Final Score:  YMCA   4      Ossett Town Juniors    1

Reporter:   Don Kiddick

D team V Greetland Stars

Final Score: OTJ D 6-4 Greetland Stars

There will be no report for this match as we had no volunteers

E Team V Challenge

Final Score: OTJ E 4-9 Challenge

TEAM: GK Ben Steel, Max Massey, Connor Stanwix, Callum Mcgary, Callum Fallas

1st half

Ossett were away from home and up against a very strong Challenge side, Challenge’s coach wanted to play the game as three 10 minute matches rather that 2 halves which probably worked out ok as ossett were short of a substitute.  The boys got off to a strong start passing the ball well around the pitch and putting together some good attacks, forcing play up into challenges half of the pitch. Max had the first shot on goal, which was well saved by the Challenge keeper but Ossett kept up the pressure and were soon rewarded, when after a fine pass from Callum, Max managed to get on the end of the ball and slotted it in the back of the net.   However Ossett wasn’t ahead for long, as Challenge’s number 4 ran up the pitch and slotted in an equalizer. Ossett kept up the pressure with shots from Callum Mcgarry and Callum Fallas going just wide.  Connor had to stay strong at the back, putting in some strong tackles, as Challenge started to push up forcing Ben to pull off some good saves, however Challenge managed to get another 2 goals leaving the first half at 1-3 to them.

2nd half

Again Ossett started strong with Max and Callum up front, however Callum’s free kick, just going wide turned out to be Ossett’s only real chance on goal. Challenge’s star player seemed to have the ball glued to his feet, with him putting together some good passes and scoring a hand full of goals, the game stated to run away from us. Connor put in some strong challenges at the back and eventually  everyone was forced back into defense,  with Ben managing to make some good,  strong  saves but Challenge ended up getting one goal after another , leaving the 2nd half 9-1.

3rd Half

Ossett’s heads never dropped and they came out this half full of grit and determination, they put on the pressure, with some good passing around the pitch and were soon back in the game, with a goal from Callum Fallas.  Ossett kept up the momentum being strong in defense, stopping Challenge from running away with the game again. Ben from goal, made a big kick up the pitch, right into the Challenge box, it seemed like everyone had their foot on the end of the ball, not sure who claimed the goal, the boy’s didn’t care, it was in the back of the net!  Making it 3 for Ossett.  They continued to dig deep with Max and Connor making some dangerous runs down the wings, giving Callum and Max chances on goal that just shot wide.  Connor and Callum continued to beat of the Challenge pressure with Ben being excellent once again in goal pulling off some great saves. Ossett kept up their hard work, with Callum Mcgarry banging another in the back of the net,  just before the final whistle …….. Leaving the final score 4-9

Although the score line left Ossett down by 5 goals it didn’t reflect the effort put in by the boys they played some really good football and if it hadn’t  been one or 2 of Challenge’s really strong  players it might have been a whole different story.  Well done boys you should be proud of the way you all dug deep with 100% effort from all of you….. Bring on next week….