Under 7’s Match Report – Sunday 5th January

A Team

Honours even in 10 goal thriller

Ossett Town U7 A v Brighouse Terriers

Team: Harley Trott (GK), Lucas Stephens, Henry Hughes, Rowan Stephenson, Max Massey, Callum Fallas

Town were kicking up-hill in the first half of the game, on a small pitch. The first few minutes of the game saw constant pressure from Brighouse, as they made a strong start. Callum and Rowan were tackling well and were managing to restrict the number of chances for Brighouse. Rowan was again showing great positioning in his play and made some fine interceptions. After 5 minutes, Town went 1-0 down after a great strike from Brighouse. Town were slowly starting to find their feet and getting more possession but Brighouse were proving a constant threat. Max was putting another great shift in, in midfield, and Lucas was making some strong runs up front. Harley also made some fine saves to keep the score at 1-0. The quality of the defending from Town was great. They persisted really well in playing their passing game, though the small pitch was restricting this a little bit. With the score still at 1-0 half way through the first half, Town had a foot-hold in the game. Henry went on a strong run down the right hand side, his shot was well saved but Lucas followed it up to bring the scores level at 1-1. Brighouse were playing a direct style of football and this soon brought them another goal to make the score 2-1 to Brighouse just before half time. Town continued to play their passing game and Harley was distributing the ball well from the back. A pass was made to Henry who again went on a good run down the right hand side before crossing the ball to Callum, who coolly slotted the ball home to make the score 2-2 at half time.

The second half started really well for Town. Max made a great pass to Henry straight from the kick off. Henry played a good through ball to Lucas, who again finished superbly to make the score 3-2 to Ossett. All of the team were putting in a great shift and tracking back well. Brighouse were proving a constant threat and Henry was called on to make a great goal-line clearance. Harley was being alert and made some good saves.Brighouse’s pressure soon payed off as they scored a third to make the scores level. One of the great qualities of this Town side is that their heads don’t drop when they concede, and they were soon putting pressure on at the other end after some good work from Callum. They were soon 4-3 up after Henry slotted the ball into the far corner. Lucas was making some strong runs and working really hard. Rowan was again being tenacious in the tackle and making some good runs forward. One of these resulted in a break by Max into the penalty area – just as he was about to shoot, he was brought down and a penalty was awarded. Max picked himself up and buried the penalty to make it 5-3. Towards the end of the game, Town started to tire a little bit. Good tackling from Callum and Rowan, and same good saves by Harley, kept the score at 5-3 . Brighouse continued to apply pressure and play some good football, and their persistence was rewarded by 2 good goals to bring the scores equal at 5-5. Soon after the game ended, with honours even.

Final Score: Ossett Town A 5-5 Brighouse Terriers (Goal-scorers: Lucas 2, Max 1, Callum 1, Henry 1)

Well played to the whole team. The quality of some of the football was excellent, with some very good passing, positioning and running.

B Team

Ossett Town B V Batley

Team: Ben Steel, Callum McGarry, Bailey Goodlad, Connor Stanwix, Charlie Ambler, Freddie White

Final Score: 3-0 (Goodlad(2), Ambler)

C Team


Ossett Town      vs      Brighouse Tigers


Kai May

Finn Tattersfield

Isaac Holmes

Toby Harrison

Luca Teal

Thomas Berry

With talk of Santa, Auld Lang Syne and the post-Christmas turkey sandwiches now firmly cast away, it was back to the beautiful game and the match at Brighouse proved to be as eventful and entertaining as any festive party.   As would be expected at this time of year, the weather and outdoor temperature were more reminiscent of Siberia than Yorkshire but the lads in red shrugged off the icicles dangling from their noses and got firmly stuck in to the tigers of Brighouse.

Ossett started sprightly, with Teal, Berry and Harrison dominating in the centre of the mudbath where a centre circle was once marked out, Holmes and Tattersfield providing width and May adding some extra flair by not being scared to run at the Brighouse defence.   Brighouse, with their counter-attacking game, broke away early and took a 1-0 lead before Berry equalised with a well taken shot into the corner, 1-1. Ossett kept their shape well and manager, Ryan ‘Snow’ White seemed pleased as the mighty boys in red always looked up to find another red shirt when in possession.   Ossett attacked with endeavour, May was maruading, Teal was teasing and Harrison was harassing the tigers in blue and yellow.  Brighouse  took advantage of the sticky pitch and when an Ossett pass went astray, sneaked in to make  it 2-1 before Teal stole in quickly to equalise with a well timed finish after great work from the fantastic Holmes who slid in a nifty through-ball,  2-2.

It was end to end stuff and after a drop-ball which bamboozled the defiant Ossett defence, Brighouse stole away again to take the lead 3-2.  As Ossett rotated goalkeepers and kept their shape well, Brighouse resorted to sending on a substitute wearing a black sweatshirt and tracksuit bottoms which, temporarily, confused the Ossett midfield until Tattersfield steamed in with another well timed crunching challenge to send Harrison free… he looked up and bent a delicious one round the oncoming ‘keeper to make it 3-3 – game on.

Ossett looked to win the game but the referee missed a poor Brighouse challenge, which left the reliable May on his backside in the mud, and the resulting corner ended up in a bizarre own goal to allow the yellow and blues a 4-3 lead.   This fired up the Ossett midfield, the ball broke down the left and Tattersfield was presented with a 50-50 ball against the Brighouse centre back…like a battle scene from the film Braveheart, only the shout of, “Freedom!” was missing as both players ran flat out towards the ball between them both and smashed into the challenge… as the Brighouse centre half disappeared into the air and over the changing room roof, the ball found itself at the feet of May, who squared for Berry to make it 4-4 with a deft finish.    As the crowd could smell the manure from the next field, the boys in red could smell a winner and, again, Tattersfield and Holmes continued to dominate the centre of the park when the opposition had possession and Harrison, Teal, Berry and May attempted to reward their graft and grit with the winning goal.  Alas, the final whistle saved the Brighouse Tigers as the game ended 4-4.   A barnstorming game, a great spectacle that warmed the cockles as the biting winter wind gripped the toes of the crowd.


Final Score: 4-4

Reporter:  Don Kiddick

D Team

On a cold Sunday Morning and hopefully fresh from a winters Break, Ossett lined up with Kai in Goal, Charlie in defence, Thomas and Sam in midfield and Dominik up front with Max on the bench.

Ossett were quick out of the blocks and Sam was full of energy winning the ball early on from the Brighouse kick off only to shoot just wide when he had a sight of goal.  Ossett continued to play well and Dominik won the ball when tracking back and played a nice pass into Sam who forced a great save from the Brighouse keeper. Ossett’s bright start failed to produce the goal it deserved and Brighouse seemed to grow in confidence as a result and began applying pressure on the ossett defence but Charlie was defending well. Then from a Brighouse corner an excellent delivery came to a Brighouse player at the Back post and Kai diving across saved  brilliantly on the line. The game was becoming slightly fractured with neither team able to properly assert themselves but Ossett were keeping there shape well.  The first change came about with Max going in goal, Kai coming outfield and Thomas making way, and Kai was straight into the game with Sam winning the ball and playing a nice pass to Kai who chased it down the wing and just kept it in play and then passed to Dominik whose shot hit the outside of the post and went out for a goal kick.  This attack had re-energised the boys and they were beginning to play some good football as Kai was released down the wing and cut back inside to force another great save from the Brighouse keeper who was having an inspired game.  Sam then had 2 good chances to score with one fizzing just wide whilst the other was saved well by the Keeper again. With half time soon approaching another change saw Thomas go in goal, Max move outfield and Dominik make way. Ossett continued to press for the opening goal but it looked to be to no avail with half time soon approaching, but the goal finally came after some good defence from Max the ball broked to Sam who was raced through and slotted it into the bottom corner with an excellent finish and a deserved 1-0 lead. The goal had given the boys some real confidence and it was soon 2-0 as Kai raced through and slid it under the keeper. This soon brought about the half time whistle and good half of football from Ossett.

The second half saw Dominik going in goal and Thomas moving outfield with Charlie making way.  Ossett were slow out of the blocks in the second half and Brighouse were soon back in the game after some sloppy passing the ball broke to Brighouse and they passed through the middle and finished in the bottom corner to give Dominik no chance in goal. Ossett soon woke up and Kai was full of running going to box to box and showing real desire to win the ball back and get Ossett back on the attack, Ossett were keeping Brighouse at bay with Max making some good tackles and the game again became fractured with no real pattern of play from either side and no clear chances.  The next change saw Charlie going in goal, Dominik outfield and Sam making way, and Ossett were now showing signs of getting back on top as Kai and Max began bossing the midfield and after Kai won the ball back, Dominik was sent clear and and powered a shot with his trusty left foot into the bottom corner and it was soon 3-1. Ossett were again playing some good football, with some good passing from Thomas to Kai, who passed it to Dominik in midfield who played Kai down the wing and Kai was unlucky as he shot wide.  Max was resolute in defence keeping Brighouse attacks to a minimum and when the did break through Charlie was making some good saves.  After Charlie had made a good save he played the ball out to Max who played it Kai who made a great run and layed it in to Dominik who slotted it home with the left foot to make it.  Ossett were full of confidence and playing football the right with some great team passing keeping possession well and looking comfortable on the ball.  Brighouse continued to press Ossett and were soon back in the game as  a lovely ball over the top evaded the defence and the Brighouse striker tapped the ball home to make it 4-2. The final change saw Sam go in goal, Charlie outfield and Kai making way and Ossett kept playing well though and Dominik was in search of his hat trick and nearly had it twice when shooting just wide and being denied by the Brighouse keeper, but he was not to be stopped and as Thomas broke clear he cut back and the ball made it’s way to Dominik who finished expertly with his left foot to make it 5-2.  Ossett continues to look for more goals and Charlie made some great runs forward and was unlucky not to score and get the goal all his hard work deserved.  Max nearly had a goal near the end but was tackled well by Brighouse when he look set to score.  Full time soon came and a good performance had brought a good win and great start to 2014.


Final Word: Saturday’s game went well with what sounded like a great game. The games today were entertaining, a difficult start on a small pitch in bad conditions didn’t really suit any of the Ossett teams today whereas Brighouse played much more directly and this style proved difficult to beat today. The first game back after a long christmas break is always a hard one and I thought all the boys did extremely well against the odds. Today was a large reminder that as parents and coaches it is important to focus on how well our boys do rather than anything else. Well done to all!!