Under 7’s Match Reports – Sunday 19th January

A Team

Town overcome a strong Queensbury side


Team: Harley Trott (GK), Henry Hughes, Rowan Stephenson, Isaac Donlon, Charlie Ambler, Luke Holmes


A good sized crowd turned up to watch Ossett Town ‘A’ versus Queensbury Celtic ‘A’. They were expecting to see some quality football and a bagful of goals, as Ossett had won the reverse of this fixture 14-6 at Queensbury. It was great to see Luke making his debut for Town after a multi million pound mid-season transfer from Thornhill. Town were quickly into their stride and started applying pressure from the off. They won an early corner which Queensbury managed to clear but from the resulting piece of play the ball broke to Henry in space who slotted the ball home to give Town an early 1-0 lead. Town were keen to play their passing game and Queensbury were looking to hit them on the break. Luke was making a great start to his Ossett career with a very energetic performance in midfield. Queensbury were proving to be a constant threat and good tackling & defending from Charlie & Rowan was needed to keep them at bay. Half way through the first half, Queensbury equalised with a good shot which Harley had no chance to save. It was an end to end game with both sides creating chances. Henry went on a good run on the right hand side and his quality pass into the middle found Luke who buried the ball into the back of the net, to give him a goal on his debut. Queensbury were playing their part in making this entertaining game and were creating a number of chances, which Harley managed to repel with a number of good saves. However on the stroke of half time, Queensbury brought the scores level again with another quality finish. 2-2 was a fair reflection of the first half.


At the start of the second half, Town again brought their quality passing game to the fore. The team were running into space to give their team-mates a passing option. Another good move resulted in Isaac receiving the ball on the right hand side in space. He showed a good burst of speed, before shooting into the bottom corner to make it 3-2 to Town. Queensbury were proving very worthy opponents and were determined to get themselves back into the game. They soon brought the score level again at 3-3. Both sides were creating chances and good saves from Harley and the Queensbury keeper kept the scores level. Henry took a series of good corners which applied pressure on to Queensbury but none resulted in a goal. Town knew that they would have to up their game slightly if they were to win this one and they did just that in the last 10 minutes. Rowan was distributing the ball well, Luke was working really hard to get Ossett the ball and Isaac was having another quality game and was running well into space. It was a great individual piece of skill from Charlie that gave Ossett the lead again, as he beat 2 opponents and then scored with a powerful shot. Town were determined not to let Queensbury equalise again and were now zipping the ball about with some crisp passing. Charlie soon made it 5-3, which gave Town the breathing space they had been looking for all game. They didn’t relax – Rowan, Luke and Isaac were working really hard up & down the pitch. All the team were throwing themselves into the tackle and Charlie took a particularly painful hit in the ‘Orchestra Stalls’, which resulted a very unsympathetic shout of ‘Never Mind Charlie’ from his Mum.  He soon recovered and finished well again to bring up his hat-trick, which made the final score 6-3 to Ossett.


This was a great win against a good Queensbury side. The quality of the football was very high, with some great passing and all round team-work. Well played to Harley, Henry, Charlie, Rowan, Luke and Isaac. A pleasure to watch you in action.


Final score: Ossett Town A 6 -3 Queensbury Celtic A   (Goals for Ossett; Henry 1, Luke 1, Isaac 1, Charlie 3)

B Team

No Report Given

C Team

No Report Given

D Team

On a cold morning and facing a very muddy and boggy Springmill Ossett lined up vs Queensbury with Thomas Maloney in Goal and the outfield players were Toby Harrison, Noah Crawshaw, Max Dervisevic and Hayden Wroe with Joe Hurdus starting on the bench.


Ossett were quick out of the blocks and some great pressing from Max won the ball in the midfield and pushing forward won Ossett an early corner which was delivered expertly by Toby and but was cleared well by Queensbury for another corner which was again delivered well by Toby into the centre but no Ossett player attacked it so was cleared away again by Queensbury.  Ossett’s early pressure soon came to an end and Queensbury were passing the ball well and got through the Ossett defence and unleashed an unstoppable shot that rocketed in off the post to make it 0-1.  Queensbury were buoyed by the goal and had Ossett on the back foot and again were soon through on goal forcing a good save from Thomas to keep it at 0-1.  But Queensbury continued to push and soon found a second goal with a low shot from close range that went into the bottom corner to make it 0-2. This brought about the first change and it was Joe on for Hayden and Ossett were not downhearted though and were trying to move the ball about but at times the conditions did not help and Noah was coming into the game well at this point and won the ball in defence and then went on a mazy run only to be stopped by a late challenge that won him a free kick when well placed to shoot.  Toby took the free kick and hit it really well but it just fizzed past the post.  Ossett were pushing forward to get back into the game and this was their downfall as they were caught short at the back as Queensbury broke and a good low shot gave Thomas little chance to make it 0-3.   These early setbacks again did not keep the boys down and Toby received the ball in midfield from Joe and went on a great run beating a couple of players and the rocketed a shot at goal that hit the post and Noah had followed the ball well and was on hand to finish it and get Ossett back in the game at 1-3.  Ossett were holding their shape well now and it was a real end to end affair with no team able to fashion any clear chances and Max was holding strong in defence to repel Queensbury.  The next change saw Max replaced by Hayden and Hayden was straight into the action showing great strength to win the ball in the middle of the park and go on a great run  forcing the Queensbury keeper to save low down at his feet when he was about to shoot.  As half time approached Ossett conceded a fourth as some confusion in with Goalkeeper and defender leaving the ball allowed the Queensbury player to sneak in and finish it well. There was nearly time for Ossett to get a second but both Toby and Noah were unlucky not to score when set up by Hayden and Joe and the half time whistle soon came.


For the second half Max replaced Thomas in goal and Queensbury kicked off and were straight on the attack and scored another goal when a powerful shot into the corner gave Max no chance to make it 1-5.  Again the boys kept going and Hayden was doing well in the middle of the park winning two committed challenges against Queensbury and going a good run and winning a throw in deep in the Queensbury half which brought about a chance for Noah who was unlucky not to score.  Some great defence from Joe stopped the next Queensbury attack and the ball broke to Toby who went on another Mazy run beating 3 Queensbury players but just running out of room at the other end when beating the last man to go out for a goal kick he was then replaced by Thomas. Ossett conceded another goal when another powerful shot fizzed into the corner to give Max no chance and maintain the high level of shooting that Queensbury had done all game. Ossett had a couple of other chances soon as Noah forced a good save and then Hayden hit the outside the post with a good shot that deserved a goal.  Ossett though had poured forward for these attacks and were looking a little Jaded as a powerful run from a Queensbury player resulted in a 7th Goal again finishing low under Max.  Max then did well as Queensbury put Ossett under pressure and produced a couple of great saves. The final change saw Toby replace

Noah and Ossett now began to play better as Thomas moved the ball out wide to Toby who broke well down the wing and played a great ball into the middle that was cleared out for a corner, Nothing came from the corner but Ossett continued to press and Toby forced a good save from the Keeper that won them another corner which was defended well.  With the full time whistle imminent Ossett poured forward and nearly had a second goal when Joe went on a great run which and was supported well but they could not beat the last man but this left them short at the back and Queensbury broke quickly and scored an eighth with an assured finish to again give Max little chance and with it brought the final whistle.


8-1 was not an accurate score for the performance in my eyes as they had some chances but could not apply the finish when needed whereas Queensbury were clinical in front of goal giving Thomas and Max little chance in goal. There was some great dribbling on display despite the conditions and it was also hard to carry a passing game but the Lads should not be downhearted as they had played well at times and came out against a good side but I’m sure they will dust themselves down and be ready to go again next match.

E Team

Ossett town U7 v Drighlington


Team news: 3. John-Charles Mullen. 8. Finn Tattersfield. 10. Sam Nightingale. 15. Connor Stanwix. 19. Jacob Ward. 23. Isaac Holmes. 35. Jacob Ward.


On a cold, damp but often sunny day Ossett Town U7s turned out in force on what was a very muddy pitch. Not that anything as simple as a muddy pitch would stop this little lot having a game of football. Well Drighlington kicked off and immediately had the ball in the Ossett half and we are under pressure. Fortunately we had Connor to take on the attack with great skill and commitment. Jacob was in goal first half and holding his own. Drighlington have got an early corner but again the defence is too strong. There’s a scramble in our box and Sam gets the ball going on a lovely little run. Connor now has the ball with Finn in support who is doing an excellent job in midfield. John-Charles goes on a little run and is unlucky to not get anything out of it. Great work from Finn again with Connor available when needed. Freddie is working hard and making some lovely little runs down the wing. Ossett are playing really well and Drighlington know they are in for a hard game today. Connor moves forward and the ball drops for Freddie who is really unlucky to not get more out of the effort he puts in. Finn and Connor are pushing forward. Connor has the ball and it looks like he’s going to be difficult to stop. Goal and Connor gets the reward that is well deserved for all his hard work. Connor runs down the line and makes a good pass to Isaac. Finn makes a little run and is really unlucky to not get anything. There’s a scramble in the Drighlington box but they clear it. Freddie clears at our end but Drighlington have it back and get a goal. 1 v 1. Sam has the ball who passes to Isaac. Isaac makes no mistake with his shot and goal were 2 v 1 up. Isaac is defending well as is Finn. Finn goes on a little run but Drighlington get the ball back and it’s 2 v 2. Finn gets the last tackle of the half and it’s 2 v 2 at half time. Ossett are having the better of the half.


Second half and Freddie has left the pitch having played really well. Jacob is out of goal and is replaced by Sam. Jacob immediately makes an impact and has a good shot saved. Isaac has the ball and passes to Jacob. Finn takes over and with his grit and determination gets his first goal. 3 v 2. Drighlington are coming back at us and Sam makes a good save. Finn has a shot saved at the other end. Jacob is running for fun with Connor always getting back to defend. Drighlington’s goalie does well and Finn’s unlucky not to score. There’s a scramble in Drighlington’s box with Connor and Jacob working hard and goal for Jacob. 4 v 2. Game on now and Finn makes a run where there’s a scramble. The ball drops for John-Charles who takes a good shot at goal which hits the post and bounces away for a goal kick. Finn gets a good tackle in and the ball drops for Isaac. Jacob takes a good corner that is well defended. Finn has the ball that comes to Jacob who does exactly what’s expected of him and goal. The game ends at Ossett 5 v Drighlington 2.


MOM: for me it has to be Connor. But all the boys played well and deserved the win. Has to be one of the best games of football I have ever seen. Well done to Kenny and Craig for motivating the players and excellent coaching. A pleasure to watch.


Scorers. Connor Stanwix 1. Isaac Holmes 1. Finn Tattersfield 1. Jacob Ward 2.

Final Word –  I caught a glimpse of all 5 games today on what was a tough day for the lads, and although there were some landslide scorelines I can assure you the games were much closer than they seem. The A team showed real quality to come out and play an expansive passing game on a very muddy pitch. The B team came up against very strong opponents but put in lots of effort and showed some good passages but were not clinical enough in front of goal. The C team saw some inexperienced players come up against strong opposition but the lads showed real potential against more experienced opponents and played some good quality football at times. The D team had a great game and were unlucky not to be in the game as they created many chances but just didn’t take as many as their opposition.  The E team played in what was arguably the game of the day as they battled all the way through and adapted their style to suit the boggy pitch which helped them put on a real good show! Overall we had a really good day and played some great football, our opponents today were tough and the way we battled in every game and never gave up is a real credit to the lads. Bring on next weekend!!!