Ossett Town Tornads 1 v 3 Guiseley Yellows

Ossett Town ‘Tornados’ 1 v 3 Guiseley Yellows

Garforth League 9 a side Cup Final

Ossett Town ‘Tornados’ turned in a somewhat disappointing performance on Saturday morning and they were justifiably beaten by more enthusiastic opponents in Guiseley Yellows. The final was played at the senior Ossett Town football stadium in cold overcast conditions. ‘Town’ lined up with Elliot Robinson, James Ferguson, Connor Macalisky, Ewan Broadbent, Lewis Stephens, Bradley Graham, Luke Townend, Billy Pert and Bailey Rawden. The subs today were James Higgins, Keiran Stephenson and Jacob Nash. Just about the whole of the first half belonged to Ossett as they enjoyed the lions share of the possession. Guiseley were pecked back somewhat as the ‘Tornados’ forced a succession of corners. However a combination of poor delivery and bust a gut type commitment from the Ossett players ensured the Guiseley’s goal remained intact. It was apparent that the Guiseley game plan was simply to soak up any early pressure via their resolute defence and very capable goalkeeper. The nearest Ossett came to scoring was when the tricky Keiran Stephenson hit the crossbar with the keeper stranded. Guiseley spent most of the first half defending and I cannot recall them having a single strike at the Ossett goal. Half Time arrived with the scores deadlocked at 0-0. During the second half things started fairly well for ‘Town’ but it was evident that all the players were lacking cohesion and playing with a nervousness rarely seen before. They took the lead when an intended cross by wide player Connor Mcaliskey inadvertently sailed over the head of the stranded Guiseley keeper and into the net (1-0 to Ossett). This should have perhaps helped to settle the players down but to their credit Guiseley had other ideas. The lead was very short lived as Guiseley took advantage of some hesitant defending to pull the scores level when one of their players smashed home a superb strike into the top corner (Ossett 1 Guiseley 1). From here on in things went from bad to worse for Ossett. Some of the players heads were down and my honest assessment is that some if not all showed a distinct lack of willingness to fight for the cause. Guiseley visibly grew in confidence and quite deservedly went on to establish a grip on the game. Two quick fire goals gave them an unassailable 3-1 lead and a sniff of the cup. To their credit ‘Town’ did huff and puff a little towards the end but it was far too little too late. A very fair and competent referee blew the final to signal despair for Ossett and total glee for the double winners Guiseley Yellows. Reporters comments: I always try to provide an honest match report no matter what the outcome of a match is. On this occasion the Ossett Town performance was not good enough. The players are a fantastic bunch and we need to remember what these boys have achieved in the past. They now need to learn the art of rolling your sleeves up when the ‘Chips are down’. Finally there is no disputing the result and Guiseley Yellows were full value on the day. All at Ossett Town congratulate them and wish the club well for the future.